Monday, March 9, 2009

Books and stuff

Hi, I've finished another great book, this one was called The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. It was a futuristic book where the United States is no more but instead is this place called Panem. In this place there are 12 districts each responsible for something like agriculture, mining, explosives, etc.

It's not a very good place, people starve to death, get blown up in mines and oh this little game that the leaders put on each year to remind the downtrodden people that they can kill for no reason and will. Each year all children ages 12-18 are put into a pool and 1 boy and 1 girl are drawn from each district. Then they are put into an arena and have to kill each other to win the games. Gory huh! Anyway it ended up being a good book. It's also on the Best Books for Young Adults list and was a runner up for an award I think. It is a series and now there are lots of us at my library waiting on the edges of our seats on the sequel which isn't coming out till September! I haven't picked my next book but I'll let you know when I do! Hope everyone out there is doing well!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had actually already read this blog, but I didn't have a chance to comment. Have you read City of Ember? I can't decide about it. Miss ya! Tiff

Della said...

I haven't read it yet but I probably will at some point :)

Unknown said...

Just finished reading The Host by Stephanie Meyer. It was pretty good. It held my interest like the Twilight series did, which is odd for me as I tend to read science fiction. Any recommendations for my next book to read? I did read the "sample" of the Hunger Games on my Kindle app for my iPhone, but I haven't actually bought the whole book yet. I sounded interesting. What kind of story is it? I think I may have read part of the first chapter. I like adventures.

Della said...

It's futuristic, dystopian. The main character is a very strong heroine who breaks rules a lot to survive. She takes the place of her 12 year old sister in The Hunger Games. In that same district a boy is chosen that she is familiar with but doesn't know real well. It's their story of staying alive (or not) in The Hunger Games, which is an arena where 24 teens fight each other to the death. It's bloody, gory, and very fast paced. You'll have a hard time putting it down after the first few chapters, especially when they get to the arena. It's hard to predict what will happen next which is great. It is a series and I just finished the second one. Now I'm on the edge of my seat waiting for the final one. You should read it, you'll love it!