Monday, June 7, 2010

The Maze Runner

The Maze Runner by James Dashner

Imagine it’s your first waking moment, total blackness, strange sounds, almost no memory, hoping you’re in a nightmare, but unable to wake up. The Maze Runner is the story of Thomas who wakes up in a metal box being lowered into a strange community of teenage boys. This community is called “The Glade.” What is it? Well the boys don’t really know, all they know is they’ve been there for a long time, they don’t remember anything about their previous lives except their first names and snatches that they can’t make sense of, and they are in the middle of a maze that seems unsolvable. Each boy has his own job in The Glade, supplies are sent weekly through the metal box. The maze is full of gruesome beasts called reavers that are half animal, half machine and more terrifying than any nightmare any of the boys could conjure.

The Maze Runner is a gruesome book, filled with fighting, and trying to survive. It’s a great boy book and is the first in a planned trilogy. It took me a little while to get into it but it did finally grab my attention. I think my problem was that I couldn’t imagine anyone being so cruel and doing this on purpose to the boys. This one has lots of death, blood and gore, and a cliffhanger end. It will leave fans chomping at the bit for the next in the series. I give this one a 3.5.

3 comments:

Dana said...

THis sounds horrible and I don't think I could read it. I HATED Lord of the Flies...

Della said...

It was quite hard to read but it wasn't nearly as bad as Lord of the Flies. The boys were actually much more civil to each other and actually worked together. They were more united against the greater threat.

Morgan Ramsey said...

I loved that book!!! One of the best I've ever read! Made a site for it with an awesome
video: www.thegladers.info