Saturday, February 27, 2010

This month's Kindred Connections book club book

Ghost Huntress: The Guidance by Marly Gibson

The Guidance was a fun read. This one is great for reluctant readers, but it is aimed more for girls than boys. It could be read as a stand alone book, however I feel the reader would enjoy the series more if it was read in order. Ms. Gibson put enough background information in the second book so that it would still be a good read. As a southerner, I can say the language Ms. Gibson used was right on for the south. The dynamics of the relationships between the friends and the adults were very good, and were presented in a true to life manner. I really liked all the characters; the main character was sassy, smart, and a good heroine.

The books are somewhat predictable, but there are still enough twists to keep the attention of the reader. There were some plot elements that did not get finished, such as who is Emily and where did she come from? I'm pretty sure I've guessed the answer but there's always a chance I'm wrong. I'm sure Ms. Gibson will answer that one and the other questions left hanging in her third book. I give this one 4 stars.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Della,

I am Marley Gibson's publicist (and sister). Thank you for the very positive review. Marley is going to be in the Nashville area during the last week of July and the first week of August. I was wondering if you would be interested in having her speak to your teen library patrons. You can get detailed info on her presentations on her website: www.marleygibson.com. If you want to discuss this please email me at:
jkavon@msn.com
Thanks so much, Jennifer Keller

Marley Gibson said...

LOL...Jennifer...you beat me to it! Della...I would LOVE to come to your library and speak to your teens. Please let us know!

All the best,
Marley Gibson = )

P.S. Thanks for the great review.